“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self-control.” Galatians 5:22-23
There she was over in the corner talking to some friends when I brought her children into the room.
I had been watching them all day so she could help her hubby with some work around the house. But it was time to take them home.
I loved spending time with her kids. They were funny, cute and occasionally a bit mischievous in the sweetest kind of way. At least most of the time.
But the minute they were within a stones throw from their momma, the drama would begin and the noise level became unbearable. Tugging, yelling, fighting, kicking, complaining and whining.
Oh…and did I mention whining? (Yeah…it was that bad!)
But what didn’t make sense was that those sweet little angelic kids had been with me for the past five hours and I almost thought I saw halos hovering above their heads…they were that good!
And then, like something from Ironman, they mutated into something so different, they were almost unrecognizable ~ even un-human.
How is that possible?
Have your kids ever done that?
Yeah…mine have too.
So, why do our kids act differently when momma is around?
1. BECAUSE WE LOVE THEM ~ AND THEY KNOW IT… Kids who know their momma loves them are prone to pounce on the ground, lay prostrate at their momma’s feet and begin wailing like a wounded bird for no apparent reason other than the fact that we will pick them up in our arms, tuck their heads sweetly on our shoulder and console them with the reassuring love that only a momma can give. Whether they are 2 or 10, they long for those momma hugs and that momma love.
2. BECAUSE THEY TRUST THEIR MOMMA~ Kids know that no matter who may come and go in their life, and no matter who may let them down, they can always trust their momma to be there for them. They’re not looking for perfect parents, they just know that no one else will be there for them like their momma will. Mommas are a safe place for kids to be who they are at their weakest and strongest moments and they know their mom won’t love them any less. They trust their moms.
3. BECAUSE MOMS ARE MUSHY ~ So, we might as well go ahead and admit it…if our kids need a gentle word or a loving hug, they know that momma is the one to run to. Moms are mushy and whether kids just want attention, they’re going through something or they’re a young teen having a hormonal meltdown moment, they know their momma’s heart will hurt with theirs because moms are mushy.
4. BECAUSE THEY NEED US ~ When their little hearts are hurting, they don’t feel well, they’re tired, hungry or they just want some butterfly kisses and a momma hug, they need their mommas. Sometimes, they just miss their momma and haven’t developed a better way to express their feelings other than to tug at your pant leg and act as if their world has just ended. Like no other place on earth, a momma’s arms are where children feel security, comfort, contentment and love. They don’t only want their momma. They need their momma.
5. BECAUSE THEY CAN ~ Let’s face it, sometimes, we moms can become too mushy, too distracted, too disconnected or too disinterested to notice what is going on with our kids. It happens all the time. Kids try pushing every possible button momma has in order to get their way. And life often keeps us so preoccupied that our kids become desperate for our attention. So they either try to manipulate momma to get their way or to get their attention. To them, any attention is worth it. Even if it’s bad.
When our kids behave differently with us, there’s a reason, and it’s not always a bad one. It may simply be because we love them and they know it. Or because they trust us. Or because we are mushy moms. Or because they need us. Or maybe it is because they are trying to get our attention and they know that if they misbehave, they can.
WHAT ABOUT YOU, SWEET MOMS? DO YOU RECOGNIZE ANY REASONS WHY YOUR CHILDREN MIGHT ACT DIFFERENTLY WITH YOU THAN WITH OTHERS? HOW CAN YOU ASSURE THEM OF YOUR LOVE AND HELP THEM DEVELOP BETTER WAYS TO EXPRESS THEIR EMOTIONS?
SUBSCRIBE to receive your FREE copy of Overwhelmed today!
SIGN UP to BEGIN a M.O.M. Initiative Mentor Group in your area! You will also receive a FREE copy of Overwhelmed and as a ministry tool, please feel free to make as many copies as you need.